Wichian Chodok Fort
This fortress was constructed in 1828 during the reign of King Rama III. During that era, tensions flared and conflicts with the Vietnamese on Chao Anuwong of Vientiane arose. King Rama III became concerned that the Vietnamese would invade Thailand. With this in mind, he commanded royally-appointed Phraya ChoduekRatchasetthi to lead the construction of a fortress protecting the mouth of the Tha Chin River. The ancient fortress was made of bricks and cement with no stations dedicated to guarding-only to fighting. Openings in the wall allowed cannons to be fired against enemies coming up through the mouth of the river. The fortress is located in TambonMaha Chai, 200 meters from City Hall. It is open daily from 8.00 am-5.00 pm.