Phra Prathon Chedi
Wat Phra Prathon Chedi is one of the big historic sites from Davaravati era around B.E.13, located in Wat Phra Prathon Chedi, 78, 52nd kilometers, Petch Kasem road, Tumbol Phra Prathon, Amphoe Mueng, Nakhon Pathom. A distance of 2 kilometers east from Phra Pathom Chedi is the royal temple. Presuming it was first built during Davaravati era, far from current location of Phra Prathom Chedi in North direction. According to the evidence which say the Chedi was restored in B.E. 2456 so it’s supposed to built in B.E.2366-2370. This information also conforms to National Bhuddism Institution which says the Chedi was built in B.E.2324 and was given Visung Kamsima in B.E.2327.There was a story told about the origin of Phra Prathon, back into B.E.1133 when Sri Sittichai, the governor of Nakhon Chaisri, asked for gold from Brahman of the Tone family in order to trade gold with relic from the King of Lanka, but he was rejected. Therefore, he started war. Afterwards, Phra Chao Wannadisaraj, the King of Lavo contributed Chedi which store gold inside and named that Chedi ‘Phra Prathon Chedi’. Phra Prathone Chedi is shaped like an upside down jar, like other Chedi from Davaravati, located at center of the temple, on the hill made from bricks made during King Rama IV era to prevent Chedi from collapsing. During the construction, many antiques from Davaravati were found and kept in Phra Pathom Chedi National Museum.It opens daily from 9am to 5pm. For more information, call 0 3421 2011, 0 3421 2313, 0 3424 2440.