Wat Sai Yai
Wat Sai Yai is at 65 Moo 5 Baan Sai Yai, Sai Noi-Ton Chuek rd. Sai Noi Nonthaburi 11150. It is under Maha Nikaya sect. It has 20 rai in total.Wat Sai Yai is located on a plain area near north and west side of Phra Rachapimon canal and Tawee Wattana canal. Inside, there are many buildings. The first one is Ubosot was built 8 meters wide and 24 meters long in 1867. It is a Thai-style architecture: tiled-roof, golden gabel apex together with toothlike ridges. The internal wall is decorated with beautiful paintings of 10 previous lives of the Bhuddha. There are also 10 monk’s huts made from concrete and wood in Thai-style, chapel, sermon hall in a monastery, multi-purpose hall, waterfront pavilion, merit making hall, crematory, bell tower, dharma studies hall and cuisine. The temple also have lots of sacred objects including metal principal Buddha image, U Thong-style with16.9 meters lap width in the attitude of subduing Mara, is placed in Ubosot while Pra Mahakajayana (Happy Buddha), rice goddess and the statue of the first abbot of Wat Sai Yai named Pra Kru Nonthiwakarn (Thip). Another abbot called Pra Mongkol Nonthakate ordained on 19 June 1942.The land of Wat Sai Yai was donated by Ngek Sangprapa. The temple used to be named Maha Nikrotharama which means banyan but then the name was changed to Wat Sai Yai (Sai is banyan in Thai) because it’s easier to say. Aside from 20 rai, Ngek also gave other 77 rai 72 square wah as temple land. Phun Kumjongjit gave 15 rai 96 square wah more. Wat Sai Yai received royal granting status “Wisungkhamseema” on 10 August 1930. The monastic boundary (Phantaseema) was settled on 11 February 1955, 40 meters wide and 60 meters long.If you have a chance to visit Nonthaburi or any nearby area, Wat Sai Yai is a great choice for relaxation, merit making and dharma practicing.