Phrathat Chommon Temple
Phrathat Chommon Temple locates in Mu 9, Ban Kat district, Amphoe Mea Sariang, Mea Hong Son province. We do not know when exactly the temple was built but the temple have almost 19 rai (unit of area equal 1600 square meters). The evidences of the temple were discovered in Ku Kum. The presumption explains that the temple was started construction during the era of the leader San-mueang ma. He was the seventh king of Chiang Mai in Mung Rai dynasty. He assigned his royal son, Chao San Kum, to build the temple on 1392. Currently, his dust was collected at Ku Kum or Ku San Kum, in the hall of temple. In 1600, in the era of King Nareasuan Maharat, he retrieved and convinced Thai people, Thai Yai people, Mon people, Karen people, and La Wa people from Myanmar to joined Thai. In additional, Mon’s king and his minions escaped enemies to Thai. They settled down on Thai area, thus, they helped take caring andrestore Phrathat Chommon temple. As time pass, the pagoda has dilapidated and left only its wreckage similar to muddy place. Until 1997, there was a building of new bigger one cover the old one. Originally, the pagoda contained the dust from the Buddha’s chin bone, but the new one also added the other dust parts by Kun Rattanapon Jongjidnun. He also respectfully engaged almost 1,000 images of the Phrathat Kieo into the pagoda “Before the restoring, Phrathat Chommon used to be an old temple in overgrown forest. Its status was just a monk’s house. Since 1982, when Pomolo villagers invited monks from Phra PutthabatTakpha temple, Amphoe Pa Sang, Lumphun province. On that time, there were two monks name Phra Atikansawat Narisungsaro and Phra Achan Pimon Chatawiro. Later, there was a monk name Father Ta Kum Sungwaro from Num Cham temple, Amphoe San Kamphaeng, Chiang Mai province, came to join with two previous monks. These three monks were the main and important force to restore and renovate Phrathat Chommon temple and caused various melodious objects. Phra Ahan Pimon Chatawiro operated the case to the Religious department in order to upgrade the temple in law. The department of religion also agreed and announced Phrathat Chommon to be the temple on 17th May 1999, and appointed Pra Chan Pimon Chatawiro to be the first monk abbot on 1st April 2000. On the meantime, the temple was also selected to be the Knowledge Park. During the same year, on 22th May 2000, Mea Sariang villagers called Phrathat Chommon temple as Chommom temple because art in the temple almost has no Mon’s art left. Also, the area around the temple is residence of Karen. Thus, we predict that during King Nareasuan Maharat era, he retrieved and convinced Thai people, Thai Yai people, Mon people, Karen people, and La Wa people from Myanmar to joined Thai. In additional, Monk’s king and his minions escaped enemies to Thai. They settled down on Thai area, thus, they helped take caring and restore Phrathat Chommon temple. They helped restoring the temple in order to be the monument. As time pass, Chommom temple was left and ignored for a long time, until the new reconstruction again by the department of religion. The department established the temple as the temple in law and changed the name by adding “Phrathat” from “Chommon temple” to be Phrathat Chommon temple. The reason of adding the name is because of the pagoda contains the Buddha’s relics inside. Phrathat Chommon is the place of one of the most 4 pagodas of the town. It is an ancient pagoda located on the top of hill, at the northwest of the town. The pagoda is gorgeous and interesting more than the others, since Prathat Chommon was built during the town-establishing era. It is one of the seven pagodas that are built at the town corner, including, Chomchaeng, Chom Thong, Chom Kitti, Chom Mon. The villagers respect the pagoda as the holy thing. There is a celebration on every July. Traditionally, northern people usually build the pagoda at around the town corners due to the belief in religion. Also, the purpose of building pagoda is to indicate the town area. The temple also is the viewpoint of Mea Sariang town. When we go up to the hill, we could see the view of Mea Sariang. We could notice that the villages are usually settle around the valley and surrounding by the fields and streams. The streams are wind and curve until the south of the mountain. In order to drive to the temple, from Amphoe Mea Sariang, we could drive across the bridge (Yuam River) and go along the highway number 1194(Mea Samlaep) for about 1 kilometer. Then we could find the intersection and turn right for about 4 kilometers until arrive the temple on the right hand side. Or we might take the motorcycle from the municipality market and pay 30 baht fee.