Pha Sam Ngao
Pha Sam Ngao Pha Sam Ngao or Phra Sam Ngao is located at Yan Ri Sub-distrcit of Sam Ngao District. From Tak town, take highway No. 1107 and go past the Chedi Yutthahatti intersection for about 25 kilometers. Alternatively, take highway No. 1. At the 463rd kilometer, turn left to Bhumibol Dam. Go on for about 10 kilometers, you will reach Sam Ngao District and see a big mountain that local people call “Pha Sam Ngao.” It is because three deep holes were carved into the cliff at the mountain foot and a gilded Buddha image is housed in each of the three niches. There are wooden stairs leading the tourists up the mountain to pay respect to the Buddha images. The myth of Pha Sam Ngao tells the story of two hermits, Vasuthep and Sukkatunta. After they had finished building Haripoonchai (modern-day Lamphun), they assigned ambassadors to invite Chamadevi, the daughter of King Nopparat of Lavo (Lopburi), to rule Haripoonchai. When the King allowed her to do so, Chamadevi along with her servants went on a journey upstream via Ping River. When they reach the area which is Pha Sam Ngao nowadays, a portent suddenly happened to them. Storm blew heavily, stopping the boats from continuing towards the water. Chamadevi, then, prayed that if she was worth the throne of Haripoonchai, let all the unfortunate events disappear. At the end of her prayer, a loud thunder struck and the storm gradually calmed. When the sun returned after the storm, three shadowy figures of Buddha appeared on the cliff. Very pleased to see such miracle, Chamadevi ordered her people to build three Buddha images after what she had seen from the vision on this cliff and celebrate for three nights before the group continued their journey to Haripoonchai.