Khum Chao Luang Mueang Phrae Museum
Khum Chao Luang Mueang Phrae Museum.The Museum is located on Khum Doem Road, Tambon Nai Wiang, opposite the Nareerat School. The Phrae Provincial Governor’s current residence is at the back of the Museum. It was built in 1892 under the order of Chao Luang Phiriya Thepphawong, the last ruler of Mueang Phrae, by the Chinese and local craftsmen in a mixture of Thai-European architecture with a gingerbread style, which was popular in the reign of King Rama V the Great. The 2-story building was constructed with bricks and cement with no foundation piles but used hardwood; such as, Burma paduak, Xyliaxylocarpa, etc., and hardwood was used for the pillars to make a foundation supporting the wooden shingles roof with a hip roof shape having a square porch and no gable. The main body of the building is magnificent and consists of 72 windows and doors that were beautifully decorated with a perforated wood design above the wind breaker on the gables and eaves.
Around the building are decorated with perforated woodcarvings. Each floor has different exhibitions: on the upper floor, tourists can pay respect to the Buddha’s relics and the statue of Chao Luang Phiriya Thepphawong. A replication of the bedroom of Chao Luang Mueang Phrae in the past is also on display. On the ground floor are rooms showcasing local wisdom heritage of Phrae in the old days, traditional utensils of the royal clans who ruled the Northern towns, the office of the ruler of Mueang Phrae in the past, and the biography of Chao Luang Phiriya Thepphawong and related persons, and the history of Phrae province. The basement is divided into 3 rooms: the room on the left wing is a prison for slaves, the room on the right wing is a prison for a person with a light penalty; both rooms have some holes allowing for the light to get through. Meanwhile, the middle room has no light access and was used as a prison for slaves, servants and prisoners with serious crimes.
Also, the residence used to be the overnight stay of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej The Great and Her Majesty Queen Sirikit The Queen Mother during their visit to Phrae between 15-17 March, 1958, as well as other members of the Royal Family. It was royally awarded as an outstanding architecture in the category of the institute and public building by HRH. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. The Museum was announced by the province to be a historical study and learning center of religions, and art and culture of Phrae. For a group visit, please contact in advance at Khum Chao Luang Office, Tel. 0 5452 4158.