Thailand’s First Teak Forest Plantation
Thailand’s First Teak Forest Plantation is situated at Mu 5 in Ban Mae Phuak, Tambon Huai Rai, opposite the Ban Mae Phuak Railway Halt. The then Phrae regional forest office was in charge of the plantation. Phraya Wannaphruek Phichan (Thongkham Savetsila) initiated the Burmese style of growing plants from seeds in 1910. At present, the total area is 133 rai, having the best teak trees and most of them are not less than 100 years old. The mature teak trees will be 20 metres and overtall, with branches appearing near their tips. During the rainy season, July to October, orange Siamese tulips (Dok Ao or Dok Krachiao) will be spotted on the broad grounds under the teak trees, making it a scenic flower field. Located nearby the Plantation is the decommissioned Mae Phuak Railway Station. The Station’sbuilding, which was built in the reign of King Rama V the Great, has been preserved by the villagers to serve as a tourist centre with a photo exhibition depicting the story of the Ban Mae Phuak Community. For more information, contact the TAT Phrae Office at Tel. 0 5452 1127. To get there: From the Den Chai District Office, turn left at the junction of the Den Chai Highway Sub-district to take Highway No. 11 for 3.5 km.