Wat Sommuttithep Thapanaram or Wat Laem Son
was built under the royal instruction of King Rama V the Great on his visit to East coast towns in 1884. While staying at the Laem Son side of Mueang Klaeng, Tambon Pak Nam Prasae, the King went to see the Chedi Sathan (the chedi still exists today). Considering that “Tambon Pak Nam Laem Son should be a good location to build a temple”, he then instructed Phra Klaengklaeokla (Mang), Ruler of Mueang Klaeng, to construct a temple near the chedi and named it “Wat Sommuttithep Thapanaram”. King Rama V the Great conferred a piece of land of 10.5 rai for the construction on which an abbot’s residence, prayer hall, dining hall, and a monk’s residence were built in the early stage and the construction took 2 years to complete. The boundary of the consecrated assembly hall was granted and established in 1902 and the Ministry of Public Instruction then sent a cast image of King Rama V the Great, a preaching pulpit, and several other items granted by the King to the temple.